Project Title: Java Lead Developer
Project duration: 6 Months
Location: Columbia, SC
Develop, document, test, and debug new and existing software systems and/or applications for market sale or large-scale proprietary software for internal use. Use Java programming language and related software development technologies such as Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE), JavaServer Pages (JSP)/Servlets, or JavaServer Faces (JSF). Serve as technical expert on development projects. Participate in full development life cycle including requirements analysis and design. Write technical specifications based on conceptual design and stated business requirements. Support, maintain, and document software functionality. Identify and evaluate new technologies for implementation. Analyze code to find causes of errors and revise programs as needed. Participate in software design meetings and analyze user needs to determine technical requirements. Consult with end-user to prototype, refine, test, and debug programs to meet needs. Recognized as advanced individual contributor. Considered subject matter expert within discipline. Conducts highly complex work critical to the organization. Works without supervision with extensive latitude for independent judgment. May assist less experienced peers. Typically requires 5-7 years of experience or equivalent combination of experience and education.
SCOPE OF THE PROJECT:
SCDC IS SEEKING A SOFTWARE DEVELOPER (JAVA) - PROJECT LEAD TO ASSIST IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF WEB APPLICATIONS TO REPLACE THE EXISTING MAINFRAME-BASED CANTEEN POINT OF SALE SYSTEM.
DAILY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
• WITH SUPERVISION FROM SCDC PERSONNEL, ASSISTS IN THE DESIGN AND PROGRAMMING OF WEB BASED APPLICATIONS TO REPLACE THE MAINFRAME CANTEEN POINT OF SALE SYSTEM.
• ANALYZES EXISTING CANTEEN POINT OF SALE SYSTEM AND DOCUMENTS CURRENT FUNCTIONS. DEVELOPS WEB BASED APPLICATIONS WITH EQUIVALENT AND ADDITIONAL NEW FUNCTIONS IN THE JEE ENVIRONMENT.
- THE NEW POINT OF SALE SYSTEM MUST BE ABLE TO ACCOMMODATE WALK UP SALES AS WELL AS ACCEPT AN INMATE ORDER LIST FILE FROM OUR INMATE KIOSK SYSTEM.
- THE SYSTEM MUST INCLUDE LOGIC TO DETERMINE ALLOWABLE WEEKLY SPENDING LIMITS BY INMATE CUSTODY, LIVING UNIT, OR OTHER INMATE SPECIFIC CRITERIA.
- THE SYSTEM WILL RETRIEVE, STORE, AND UPDATE RECORDS IN OUR LINUX DB2 AND MAINFRAME IDMS DATABASES.
- THE SYSTEM WILL INCLUDE A PRIVATE WEB SERVICE TO ACCEPT SUBMISSION OF CANTEEN POINT OF SALE AND OTHER FUTURE TRANSACTIONS TO BE APPLIED TO THE INMATE TRUST FUND AND RETURN AVAILABLE BALANCE AND TRANSACTION AUTHORIZATION NUMBER.
• CONSULTS WITH RIM STAFF AND SCDC MANAGERS TO DETERMINE FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND TRANSLATE THEM INTO DATABASE AND APPLICATION DESIGN.
• FOLLOWS ALL AGENCY CODING STANDARDS AND PROCEDURES FOR TESTING.
• PROVIDES REGULAR STATUS REPORT TO RIM MANAGERS.
A BACHELOR'S DEGREE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE OR A RELATED FIELD AND EXPERIENCE IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY. RELATED EXPERIENCE MAY BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE BACHELOR'S DEGREE ON A YEAR-FOR-YEAR BASIS.